Marvel's Daredevil Season 2: Episode 1

All day I've just wanted to get home from University and begin watching the second season of Daredevil. Being my favourite Superhero I had high hopes for the first episode and although I wasn't dissatisfied with the season two opener I feel it lacked in some areas that made the first season so enticing to watch!

But we'll get to those points because there is still a tonne of great things to talk about in this episode as things intensify pretty quickly with the introduction of a rival vigilante who is taking names by the minute in Hell's Kitchen. The Punisher arrives in great style with the face of Jon Bernthal who was labelled "An Army" by one of his surviving victims (Grotto) but is in fact just one man. It is his job to single handedly prevent other gangs from claiming what was once Wilson Fisk's. As we see the Irish mob planning to take the drugs business for their own before many of their leaders are gunned down by the silent killer in the shadows. We then slowly find out more information about the him before his reveal at the end of the episode. Unlike Wilson Fisk we are introduced to The Punisher early in this season and I think that's a good thing because a gradual reveal would not have the same suspense with The Punisher as it did with Fisk. Whilst the Punisher is claiming lives and gangs are conspiring to take more land, Matt, Foggy and Karen are chasing information on this new "Hero" but before that they are helping new clients but are distracted from the other gangs movements!

Matt, Foggy and Karen still work well together. Their chemistry has passed over from season one and we can still see a great friendship between the characters, making the show ever so more enjoyable to watch. We do get a moment with Karen and Matt as she helps him play pool which is the first sign of a potential relationship between the two characters, I am not sure that I would like that yet as the trio work well as friends and I would like to see that play out a little bit more. But maybe later in the season it could be on the cards. Also considering Jessica Jones kind of shut out Daredevil for a couple of months, the World of Daredevil and the characters are more interesting than Jessica Jones and I would like to see more individuality from them; particularly Karen. We did get that in this episode as Karen saves Grotto who survived The Punisher's ambush on the Irish as they escape the hospital from Jon Bernthal's character. Also from Foggy as well as he heads to the home of the biker gang to scrape more information on the mystery Irish slayer. As for Matt, well, he beats people up and is still a badass so he's covered!

I've mentioned one of the things I felt was a little bit strange in this episode, but another I felt was under par were the fight scenes. This could just be me being picky about it and although they were still good, I don't think they lived up to the standards that season one had set. I didn't feel the fight scenes had as much impact until we got to Daredevil's and The Punisher's first confrontation but I still felt that could of been better too. I just hope that they get better as the season progresses, besides we still have another iconic character to appear!

Another being the scene where the Irish were gunned down. This possibly being my favourite scene in this episode is ruined by one thing. The one dead guy who's phone goes off and having the ringtone of an Irish dance. Aside from the fact that it annoyed me, I think it defused the situation and was a distraction from what just happened!

Despite some small things I think it was a strong opening for the second season, the pace was there to pick up where the first season left off and it keep us engaged throughout the episode! I'll be doing what I did with Jessica Jones and review the entire season so look forward to more reviews!

I Salute you for reading! :)

Comments

Popular Posts